NOVEMBER’S FLORAL TREND MOODBOARD WITH BERRIES
Expressive branches, colourful berries – pick the fruits of summer with berry flowers as eye-catchers in Autumn bouquets and arrangements.
Berry flowers are on the Flower Agenda in November. Growing in Spring, blooming in Summer – it doesn’t stop with Skimmia, Rose hip and Holly. The formation of berries gives them a completely different appearance and new value in floral arrangements in the Autumn.
This fits in perfectly with the continuing trend of processing botanical elements and using as much of each plant as possible for sustainable reasons. The berry flowers are specially selected for their ornamental value in the fruit stage and offer a subtle stepping stone to the Christmas period.
FLORAL TREND MOODBOARD
BERRIES FLOWER FACTS
In the wild, Skimmia grows in the forests of China and other parts of Asia, such as the Himalayas.
You can find Holly/ Ilex in South and West Europe and West Asia.
Rose hips were first grown in China, Persia (present-day Iran) and in countries around the Mediterranean Sea.
CHOICE OF ASSORTMENT
Branches with fruits are divided into two groups: meaty and dry. Berries, such as Holly, Rose hip and Skimmia, are covered by the fleshy fruits.
Holly (Ilex) has Ilex Verticillata, deciduous Holly, as the most common species. Recognisable by long branches with small side branches – with plenty of red berries. Other berry colours are now also being offered – such as cream, lemon and ochre yellow, orange and salmon.
Rose Hips (Rosa) are available in a large assortment with red, green or orange-yellow Rose Hips, the fleshy fruit of a Rose. The bottles can vary in size and shape, from miniature to a few centimeters. The length of the branches varies from 30 cm to 2/2.5 meters. The XXL branches are usually offered in plastic bags for ease of transportation. „Magical” and „Fantasy” are the best known series of Rosehip.
Skimmia is best known for the species, whose red or white-green flower buds have ornamental value. We come across beautiful red or green varieties. Some types of Skimmia, such as Japonica and Reevesiana, are specially grown for the berries and lend themselves well as a cutting material, due to the bright red berry colour and the green leaves.
What to look for when buying BERRIES?
- Shrubs are usually grown outdoors. This makes them less even or straight than most cut flowers – that offers additional possibilities for creative processing.
- When purchasing, pay attention to the occupancy of the branches, the length of the branches, whether branches are topped or untopped and whether they are straight or crooked.
- The quality of the berries is also important. Sometimes they are damaged, discoloured or dried out. Also, damage may have occurred due to too long storage.
- Sometimes there are brown berries in the branches. This is caused by Botrytis, which is caused by too much moisture. Botrytis spores germinate easily under moist conditions. With a particularly damp autumn, brown berries can develop quickly, especially with branches with softer berries. It is therefore important to keep the berries dry. Once there are brown berries in the branches, cut them out.
Care tips for professionals
- Take care of the shrubs immediately when they arrive at the store by cutting off the branches with a sharp, clean secateurs or knife and providing the water with a preservative (shrub chrysal) or a chlorine pill.
- To get a fresher look, some berries can be sparingly sprayed with leaf luster.
- When the berries are combined with other cut flowers, the shelf life of the flowers can be influenced by the ethylene that the berries release.
- Shrubs and fruits can be stored in a cold store at 5 ° C. The cooler the better, but above 0 ° C. Rose hips can be stored in a plastic bag for a long time to prevent the bottles from drying out. Watch out for the thorns on the rose hip branches, which can sometimes be sharp.
- All berry products have a long shelf life and are offered from autumn to Christmas.
- The berry flowers are only for decoration and not for consumption.
PROFESSIONAL BERRIES PRESENTATION TIPS FOR YOUR SHOP
Berry flowers are attractive team players in mixed designs, but also shine as a group act, in combination with moss, bark and autumn leaves. Very Instagram-worthy: one bottle, one branch. The bottle may look like it comes from a laboratory – also square shapes and cube shape offer a lot of visual effect in combination with the round berries.
NOVEMBER’S FALL COLOUR PALETTE
FLOWER AGENDA 2019
The upcoming weeks, the Amaryllis in the spotlight of the Flower Agenda. The inspirational images above are produced by the Flower Council. Keeping in mind the Horticulture Sector Trends for 2019. These trends are a translation of the latest consumer trends. We focus specifically on the horticultural sector.
GET FREE CONTENT
At OZ Export, we do not only deliver beautiful flowers, but we offer you great customer service as well. This includes marketing and sales support. Every month, we make a free digital promo kit for our loyal customers. If you would like to receive this promo kit, please ask your Account Manager. You may also contact our Marketing department directly by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com.
Back to overview