Festive flowers in the December Flower Agenda
It is almost December, a month filled with festivities! To make sure you’ll have enough inspiration to create stunning festive floral arrangements and bouquets, there is not one, not two but three Flowers of the Month December. We celebrate Christmas with the Amaryllis, Orchid and Lisianthus.
THE ORIGIN OF THE AMARYLLIS, ORCHID AND LISIANTHUS
- Our Amaryllis originates from South and Central America and the Caribbean.
- The Lisianthus originates from North America, where it grows in desert riverbeds and in prairie regions.
- The orchid originates from the tropical rainforest.
VELVET AMARYLLIS, TROPICAL ORCHID AND FESTIVE LISIANTHUS
The Amaryllis’s petals are very unusual: they look like they’re made of fabulous velvet. They come in white, red, yellow, pink, salmon, purple, orange and bicoloured.
The Lisianthus comes in white, green, blue, pink, lilac, purple and salmon. Some flowers even have petals with multiple colours.
There are more than 25,000 species of Orchids, but at the florist we particularly find the tropical beauties. The flower comes in gorgeous colours, from powder pastels to candy pink or Zen white. There are even tiger prints, cow spots and stripes. Opt for the butterfly-like Phalaenopsis, the vamp Vanda, the slender Cymbidium or the Venus slipper (Paphiopedilum – pronounced ‘pa-fee-oh-ped-il-um’).
FLORAL TIPS FOR FLORISTS
- Trim the stem diagonally with a sharp knife.
- Use a clean (glass) vase and fill it with approx. 7 cm of tap water at room temperature. Use cut flower food for a mixed bouquet.
- Ensure the right ambient temperature (max. 20 °C).
- Do not place the flowers in a draught, in full sun or near central heating.
- Regularly top the vase up with tap water.Symbolism of the amaryllis, orchid and lisianthus
SYMBOLIC FLORAL GIFTS FOR CHRISTMAS
The Amaryllis symbolises pride and enchanting beauty, and marks friendship and affection. The Lisianthus represents appreciation, gratitude and charisma. The Orchid symbolises pure friendship. When you give it as a gift, be like the Brazilians and give a kiss for every flower.
Christmas bouquets are the perfect gift for the Holiday season! The extravagant flowers featured in the Flower Agenda this month are not only a joy to look at, they also make a real festive statement: Rudolph, come on in!
What you’ll need:
FLOWER OF THE MONTH
The upcoming weeks the Christmas flowers are in the spotlight of the Flower Agenda. Inspirational images have been produced for all the flowers in the Flower Agenda by keeping in mind the Horticulture Sector Trends 2017. These trends are a translation of the latest consumer trends focused specifically on the horticultural sector both indoors and outdoors.
If you would like to find out more about the Flower Agenda click here.
TO FLOWER THE WORLD VIA SOCIAL MEDIA
Show us your Christmas floral designs with these symbolic flowers on Social Media, use the hashtags #ozexport and #toflowertheworld and we will share your floral designs!
Back to overview