BERRYLICIOUS WINTER FAVOURITE
In a Winter Wonderland setting the Ilex is essential. During the most wonderful time of the year the Ilex, commonly known as holly, comes in many different shades of red. However, did you know the Ilex also comes in other cozy colors? Bright yellow and warm orange are also available.
WINTERBERRY’S GREAT VASE-LIFE
Ilex branches are perfect for the Winter because they will brighten up your shop or home for a long time. They have a very long vase-life. Ilex branches last up to three weeks! No wonder why the nickname of the Ilex (verticillata) is ‘Winterberry’.
Advice for keeping vase water clean:
- Always use clean containers and vases
- Keep tools and tables clean
- Use tap water with the correct dosage of flower food to keep your flowers in optimum condition. Make sure there are no berries in the vase water
- Reduce the chance for contamination by cutting 5-10 cm off the stems
- Avoid damaging the stems
- Top up with fresh water and flower food, you can order your flower food product at OZ Export as well.
JUST LIKE GOOD WINE THE ILEX HAS TO AGE
Before the Ilex can be used in a floral arrangement, it is already two years old. The first year the branches grow and the second year the branches develop side branches. Then in June white flowers appear on the side branches, after which the berries appear.
MEET ILEX GROWER: EMIEL DE JONG
We recently visited Ilex breeder Emiel de Jong, take a look inside:
Back to overview