START SPRING WITH THE CHEERFUL GERBERA
The cheerful colours and fresh look make the Gerbera a fabulous flower for April. Whether an arrangement requires soft pastels or bright primary colours, Gerberas can provide it. With excellent quality, because the constant development of this popular cut flower has removed the need for wires. Gerberas keep looking good for between 10 and 20 days nowadays, and the ease of use – no foliage, smooth stems, very Instagrammable – makes them very popular with millennials and centennials.
GERBERA THE FLOWER OF THE MONTH APRIL!
As a gorgeous cut flower, the Gerbera consists of a host of tiny flowers. The outermost ribbon-shaped flowers determine the shape. The Gerbera’s heart also consists of small flowers: the tubular flowers. A double flowered Gerbera also has (shorter) ribbon flowers in its heart. Those are only visible up close; what most people see is the flower shape that everyone draws as a child: a round heart surrounded by radiant petals.
What to look for when buying gerberas
- Important factors when buying are the length of the stem, the size of the flower and whether it is a single or double flowered cultivar.
- The stage of ripeness is also important. With a fresh flower the outermost 2 to 4 stamen rings in the heart are open. If more rings of stamens are visible, the flower is less fresh.
- Gerbera must be free of pests and diseases. The flower can show botrytis on the petals (spots), in the heart of the flower or on the stem (grey mould).
- Gerberas that have been stored dry in boxes for too long feel floppy.
- Good growers pre-water gerberas in a bleach pool in order to improve the shelf life. The stems are prone to bacteria, as a result of which the flowers can rapidly droop or even rot. Some bleach in the right concentration will prevent this.
PROFESSIONAL GERBERA PRESENTATION TIPS FOR YOUR SHOP
Gerberas can easily be used to make surprising and modern colour blocking arrangements. They are also brilliant features in popular field bouquets. The pastel shades work well with arrangements around Easter (21 April). Oasis arrangements with Gerberas fit perfectly with the style trend in which flowers and plants look like soft cushions as a buffer against the harsh outside world. Bouquets can be rich and full; the soft effect is reinforced with dandelion clocks or fluffy ornamental grasses.
APRIL’s SPRING COLOUR PALETTE
PANTONE 11-0106 Sweet Corn
Sweet Corn tempts with its soft and buttery attitude.
PANTONE 12-0742 Lemon Verbena
Light and sunny, Lemon Verbena is pleasingly cheerful.
ANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral
Living Coral is an affable and animating shade whose golden undertone gives it a softer edge.
PANTONE 15-1619 Pressed Rose
The blushing Pressed Rose fills us with thoughts of romance and sentimentality.
PANTONE 117-0542 Pepper Stem
Zesty yellow-green Pepper Stem encourages our desire for nature’s healthy bounty.
FLOWER AGENDA 2019
The upcoming weeks the Gerbera is in the spotlight of the Flower Agenda. The inspirational images above are produced by the Flower Council. Keeping in mind the Horticulture Sector Trends for 2019. These trends are a translation of the latest consumer trends. We focus specifically on the horticultural sector.
GET FREE CONTENT
At OZ Export we do not only deliver beautiful flowers, but we offer you great customer service as well. This includes marketing and sales support. Every month we make a free digital promo kit for our loyal customers. If you like to receive this promo kit, please ask your Account Manager. Or contact our Marketing department directly by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to overview